The Steve Austin Show – John Cena – Steve Austin Show
Release Date: 01/01/19
Running time: 1 hour
Recap by: Joe Aguinaldo
Steve us on break so this is a retro podcast from February 18, 2014 with John Cena. John had just lost to Randy Orton at Royal Rumble and was eliminated from the Elimination Chamber by Bray Wyatt who he would be facing at Wrestlemania 30
- A chat with Mark Bell that got Cena interested in trying pro wrestling.
- Growing up, early life, school and training.
- Dealing with the Let’s Go Cena/Cena sucks reactions and why that reaction exists.
- Understanding and taking chances with your character and the risks he took.
- Royal Rumble match with Randy in 2014 and how he handled the crowd reactions.
- What John does when he’s not training or in the ring. Taking Mandarin to help expand the WWE brand in China.
- John shares a story about a chat he had with Austin which was a subtle reminder to always try and be better.
- How Cena is feeling physically (37 at the time).
- Approach to doing promos.
- How J.R scouted talent and Cena’s first conversation with him.
- Thoughts on announcing and how it evolved (Cole, Lawler and JBL)
- 2 vs 3 hour RAW.
- Thoughts on the performance center.
- Working in OVW.
- Being able to approach Vince.
Rating – 8/10
I remember liking this podcast when it first came out and still liking it four years later. Cena is an interesting and well spoken person with some strong perspectives on how to be a pro wrestlers in today’s era. He also has some good stories about growing up and getting into the business. Four years later and even if you’re in the ‘Cena Sucks’ camp, I’d still recommend this podcast.
Joe is a long time wrestling fan from Toronto. He is a co-host on the Pull Apart Podcast with Jeff Rush and Caitlin Lavelle as well as a contributor to www.pwpodcasts.com. One of his life goals is to be a guest host on one of Wade Keller’s post-show podcasts. He doesn’t consider himself any sort of expert, he just likes wrestling. Check him out on Twitter and Instagram @ja113.